Most people who ask me for help have tried to get organised before. It might have been through books, TV shows, courses or help from family and friends.
I personally I am not a great believer in ‘self-help books’. They are mostly from the US, and let’s face it, Americans have a completely different lifestyle to us. Or does anybody have a basement and a TV in the kitchen?
Books give good advice, but not tailored to your situation. TV shows would do the same, can sometimes get people going and motivated.
Friends and family – you love them too much to take their advice with the necessary distance and professionalism.
Here is what is different when you work with a professional
- a PO studies systems for a living. We don’t know just one system or ‘our system’ – we know many. And we know the best situations to apply them.
- We are not intimidated or overwhelmed by the volume of ‘stuff’, nor the size of the project. We have the tools and resources to get the job done, with your dignity well and truly intact.
- We do not pass judgement. At all.
- We are objective. This is a high value characteristic. We do not have the weight of emotion holding us down.
- We are there for YOU. We have no hidden agendas. We are the client advocate first and foremost. We’re there with your wellbeing in mind and nothing else.
- We organise people, not things. We deal with you and what’s going on in your life. The stuff gets organised as a result of that.